The Children’s Services Division is focused on providing professional development opportunities for children’s services professionals and helping all children achieve their high potential through the use and enjoyment of library services.
Sybil Wendling, Coordinator (2021)
Avon Lake Public Library
Sarah Cramer, Assistant Coordinator (2021)
Findlay-Hancock County Public Library
Work: 419-424-7051 156
Annamarie Carlson, Secretary (2021)
Westerville Public Library
Work: (614) 882-7277 x 2179
Jennifer Buckner, Past Coordinator (2021)
Janet Ingraham Dwyer, ExOfficio
State Library of Ohio
Kelly Cochran (2021)
Delaware County District Library
Hope Justice (2022)
Logan County Libraries
Kathryn Knotts (2022)
Akron-Summit County Public Library
Samantha Lumetta (2021)
Cincinnati & Hamilton County Public Library
Board Liaison: Sarah Clevidence
PDC Liaison: Stefanie Leming
Staff Liaison: Angie Jacobsen
Goals and Objectives
The Children’s Services Division of the Ohio Library Council seeks to identify and address issues relative to children’s services in public libraries and to the changing needs of children and their caregivers by focusing on the following areas. We strive to help others provide equitable, diverse, and inclusive service to children and all those who support them.
(1) Providing Continuing Education for Library Staff
- Offer a minimum of two continuing education opportunities for library staff directly related to at least two different OLC core competencies, virtually or in person, as the situation allows.
- Develop content and sponsor programs at the 2021 OLC Convention and stand-alone conferences.
(2) Supporting Families & Caregivers
- Provide and support trainings/resources that encourage developmentally-appropriate best practices in Ohio libraries.
– Ohio Ready to Read trainings.
– Media Mentorship trainings.
- Provide information on how library staff can support caregivers in their role as a child’s first teacher.
– Early literacy initiatives like the Ohio Family Literacy Calendar.
(3) Supporting Library Staff
- Update members on sponsored activities and support two-way communication through the publication of a quarterly electronic newsletter.
- Contribute to the State Library Youth Services Listserv, the Ohio Ready to Read website and Facebook page, other local or regional virtual or in-person forums with the goals of increasing CSD membership/visibility, encouraging participation in events, and providing useful forums to discuss our vocation.
- Update the CSD page of the OLC website to include an onboarding toolkit or other resources by Oct 1, 2021.
Current Task Force:
Ohio Ready to Read Task Force – Website
- Celeste Swanson, Chair, Lane Libraries
- Pam Brockway, Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County
- Mandie Burns, Dayton Metro Library
- Deborah Dubois, Mansfield/Richland County Public Library
- Nancy Eames, Toledo Lucas County Public Library
- Tara Hutson, Fairfield County District Library
- Janet Ingraham Dwyer, State Library Liaison, State Library of Ohio
- Taryn Lentes, Athens County Public Libraries
- Kate McCartney, Marysville Public Library
- Katie Ross, Westerville Public Library
- Julia Shaheen, Stark County District Library
- Krista Tokarz, Cuyahoga County Public Library
- Maria Trivisonno, Cuyahoga County Public Library
Annual Report (PDF)