The Membership Committee develops the OLC’s membership recruitment and retention strategies, advises staff on implementation, and promotes OLC membership in a variety of venues and in conjunction with other Committees and Divisions.
Sam Snodgrass, Chair (2021)
Wadsworth Public Library
Roger Donaldson, Asst. Chair (2021)
Jackson City Library
Lexy Kmiecik, Secretary (2021)
Cleveland Public Library
Brenna Hubschman, Student Representative (2021)
Katherine Nix (2023)
Lorain Public Library
Kathleen Mockensturm (2023)
Akron-Summit County Public Library
Sarah Schellenger (2021)
Cincinnati and Hamilton County Public Library
Maria Sferra (2023)
Board Liaison: Laura Lee Wilson
Staff Liaison: Jeanine D’Andrea
The Membership Committee is composed of a chair, assistant chair and several at-large members. The committee works in conjunction with other unit coordinators and chairs to publicize OLC and its activities.
Goal 1: To effectively retain established members of OLC.
Objective 1.1: Communicate the benefits of OLC membership with current members.
- Develop a schedule to promote membership and membership benefits through monthly digital ACCESS articles.
- ACCESS articles are a great avenue for libraries across the state to get updates that affect them, virtual meetings and events, and to stay in touch with what’s happening with libraries at the state level.
- Communicate that OLC is here and individual memberships are available during normal and trying times, that we are being responsive to the educational and social climate in 2021, and that we support the efforts of the organization.
- Promote digital learning and OLC’s pivot to virtual learning in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Continue to work with OLC Director of Communications to place Membership Committee information on OLC social media channels. Information may include: reminders to renew OLC membership, benefits of OLC membership, and testimonials regarding OLC member benefits.
Goal 2: To recruit new members to OLC with an emphasis on Students and Metro Libraries.
Objective 2.1: Increase individual membership at libraries in 2021.
- Drawing for $50 referral for new members
- Look for partnership opportunities with other committees and divisions to promote membership
- Supply new hire material and letter, Digital New Member Packet
Objective 2.2: Promote value of student membership in OLC in 2021.
- Promote ALA/OLC Joint membership through various means.
- Student member liaison will investigate the possibility of pinning a post promoting OLC/ALA joint membership to blackboard Core Courses and listserv.
- Raffle two free membership for students one in Spring 2021 and the other in Fall of 2021.
- Continue to reach out to all students.
Objective 2.3: Promote value of membership in OLC to Metro Libraries.
- Committee members will reach out to METRO libraries through the METRO Library Toolkit to be sent out by Spring.
GOAL 3: Membership Committee will be responsive to changing members needs
- Communicate that individual memberships are available.
- Be responsive to the educational and social climate in 2021.
- Support the efforts of the organization.
- Promote digital resources and virtual learning and promote professional growth.
GOAL 4: To inspire member engagement and inclusion.
Objective 3.1: Communicate opportunities for member participation in the OLC.
- Promote current Get Involved form.
- Post job descriptions of volunteer positions.
- Use ACCESS articles to advertise for action council and committee openings.
- Involve leadership in actively responding to the Get Involved Form.
- Design a new format for meet and greet, possibly in a digital format.
- Follow-up with Division and Committee chairs.