The Membership Committee develops the OLC’s membership recruitment and retention strategies, advises staff on implementation, and promotes OLC membership in a variety of venues and in conjunction with other Committees and Divisions.
Sam Snodgrass, Chair (2021)
Wadsworth Public Library
Roger Donaldson, Asst. Chair (2021)
Jackson City Library
Lexy Kmiecik, Secretary (2021)
Cleveland Public Library
Brenna Hubschman, Student Representative (2021)
Katherine Nix (2023)
Lorain Public Library
Kathleen Mockensturm (2023)
Akron-Summit County Public Library
Sarah Schellenger (2021)
Cincinnati and Hamilton County Public Library
Maria Sferra (2023)
Board Liaison: Laura Lee Wilson
Staff Liaison: Jeanine D’Andrea
The Membership Committee is composed of a chair, assistant chair and several at-large members. The committee works in conjunction with other unit coordinators and chairs to publicize OLC and its activities.
Goal 1: To effectively retain established members of OLC.
Objective 1.1: Communicate the benefits of OLC membership with current members.
- Develop a schedule to promote membership and membership benefits through monthly ACCESS articles.
- Continue to work with OLC Director of Communications to place Membership Committee information on OLC social media channels. Information may include: reminders to renew OLC membership, benefits of OLC membership, and testimonials regarding OLC member benefits.
Goal 2: To recruit new members to OLC with an emphasis on students.
Objective 2.1: Increase individual membership at libraries in 2021.
- Drawing for $50 referral for new members
- Look for partnership opportunities with other committees to promote membership
- Supply new hire material/letter
- Change new member packet into a digital format.
Objective 2.2: Promote value of student membership in OLC in 2021.
- Promote ALA/OLC Joint membership through various means.
- Continue presence of Student Member Representative on Membership Committee with a term of 1 year to act as a liaison to the library school students at KSU.
- Student member liaison will investigate possibility of pinning a post promoting OLC/ALA joint membership to blackboard Core Courses and listserv.
- Raffle one free membership for students in Spring 2021.
GOAL 3: To inspire member engagement and inclusion.
Objective 3.1: Communicate opportunities for member participation in the OLC.
- Promote current Get Involved form.
- Post job descriptions of volunteer positions.
- Use ACCESS articles to advertise for action council and committee openings.
Objective 3.2 Encourage experienced members to strengthen connections with members
- Obtain testimonials from successful OLC leaders.
- Create a “Want to be Involved?” webcast or video.
- Continue marketing on social media.