The OLC has put together a number of tools to help you become a powerful advocate for Ohio’s public libraries.
2022 Advocacy Calendar (PDF)
Month-by-month calendar of advocacy activities and ideas to use at your library throughout the year.
Library Legislative Day
Grassroots advocacy event in Columbus.
- “Did You Know?” Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Digital Services available at Ohio’s Public Libraries (PDF)
- History of Library Funding in Ohio (PDF)
- FAQs about the Public Library Fund (PDF)
- Statewide ROI Report
Recent return on investment (ROI) study of Ohio’s public libraries and the economic benefit they provide to Ohio residents.
- 134th General Assembly Legislative Directory (PDF)
- Find My Legislator – Ohio House and Senate
- General Assembly Social Media Accounts (download Excel file, tabs for Ohio House and Senate)
- Find your OLC Legislative Network contact (PDF)
- Format for Legislative Office Visit (PDF)
Tools and Templates
- How Our Library is Funded template (PDF)
- Library Costs for eBooks graphic | PNG or PDF
- Who’s My Legislator? bookmark template (PDF)
- We love libraries sign (PDF)
Local Return on Investment Calculator
Local ROI Calculator (download Excel spreadsheet)
Within the document are four tabs:
- Instructions on how to complete the calculator
- Actual ROI Calculator
- Explanation of what the ROI figures mean and how to utilize them; and
- Notes on the pricing and cost assumptions.
NOTE: It is helpful to print the “Instructions” worksheet first and gather your information before entering the data. An instructional webinar is also available at olc.org/roi-calculator.
Ohio’s Public Libraries…
- provide public access to the internet, computers and the latest technology (including mobile WiFi hotspots, iPads, laptops, and more).
- help Ohioans find jobs and provide online educational courses and tech training.
- offer literacy and homework help for children (including assistance with remote and hybrid learning).
- collaborate with private groups, food banks, and state and local government entities to help deliver local services.
- provide life-long learning opportunities and programming for all ages.
- offer personalized, one-on-one support to find unbiased and well researched information as well as community resources.
- serve as the hub for their community and a place for people to gather.
Plus, Ohio’s Public Libraries…
- have the highest library use per capita in the nation.
- quickly pivoted and adjusted their service delivery models to continue to meet the needs of their local communities during the pandemic.
- voluntarily assisted the Ohio Department of Health with efforts to distribute of COVID-19 rapid at-home test kits.
Statewide Pandemic Survey Results
- Ohio’s Public Libraries Respond to COVID-19 Crisis (PDF)
- Public Libraries Support Students, Parents, Entire Communities During Pandemic (PDF)