Sponsor: The Ohio Library Council
Ohio Library Council Headquarters
1105 Schrock Road, Suite 440
Columbus, OH 43229
Member: $375* | Non-member: $750
*OLC Individual members or staff of OLC Institutional member libraries.
Enrollment is limited to 30 registrants. Registration deadline is 7 days prior to each workshop.
For more than 16 years, the OLC’s New Directors Workshop Series has helped public library directors adjust to the main responsibilities of their new roles, and helped those who aspire to become a library director understand the multiple facets of the role. This workshop series includes intensive work with everyone from OLC staff and legal counsel to seasoned directors and subject experts in various library fields to other “first-timers” just like you.
AGENDA: Entire Series
Workshop 1: Essential Knowledge
Wed., May 31, 2017
9:15 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
- The Ohio Library Community
- So You’ve Decided to be a Director!
- Success with Your Board of Trustees
- Legal Issues Affecting Your Library
- Under the Rotunda: The History of Public Library Advocacy at the Statehouse, Current Legislative Issues, and Why it Matters
- Being a New (or Slightly Used) Director: A Perspective on Being a Newer Director
Workshop 2: Essential Human Resources Management
Thurs., June 29, 2017
9:15 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Staying Legal: Good Advice on HR Matters
- The Importance of Diversity in Public Libraries
- Ohio Public Library Core Competencies
- The Nuts and Bolts of Leadership: Personnel Management Tools and Ideas
- Practical HR: Making it Work in Your Library
Workshop 3: Essential Visibility
Wed., July 19, 2017
9: 15 a.m. – 3: 45 p.m.
- Telling Your Story
- Five Steps to Creating a Strong Online Library Presence
- Strategic, Long-Range Planning: Understanding Your Role
- Connecting: Partners in the Community
Workshop 4: Essential Administration
Wed., Aug. 30, 2017
9: 15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- The Board of Trustees and Library Finances
- Keeping Your Budget on Track
- Managing Your Library Building
- Public Records Act and the Open Meetings Act
- Ohio Ethics Law: Can I Do That?
Who Should Attend: Library directors with less than three years of experience as a director, interim, or acting directors, or library staff with management and/or administrative experience who would like to move to a director’s position.
- All handouts provided by the instructors.
- Continental Breakfast and Lunch. Please indicate any dietary requirements in the comments section when registering.
Continuing Education Credits: For those working toward their Ohio Public Librarian or Ohio Public Library Staff re-certification, this workshop series counts as 24 contact hours (six contact hours per workshop).
Accommodations: For a list of hotels in the area please e-mail email@example.com or call (614) 410-8092.
Primary Ohio Public Library Core Competencies addressed:
- Workshop 1 – Leadership; Organizational Awareness
- Workshop 2 – Human Capital Management; Facilitation; Staff Training
- Workshop 3 – Collaboration; Marketing
- Workshop 4 – Policies and Procedures; Ethics; Facilities; Fiscal Operations