Sponsor: Ohio Library Council
Ohio Library Council
1105 Schrock Road, Suite 440
Columbus, OH 43229
Entire Workshop Series: Member: $375* | Non-member: $750
One Workshop ONLY: Member: $100* | Non-member: $200
*OLC Individual members or staff of OLC Institutional member libraries.
Please Note: Enrollment is limited to 30 registrants. The registration deadline is 7 days prior to each workshop.
The transition to a new management role can be challenging even for experienced and highly- skilled employees. The OLC’s New Directors Workshop Series is designed specifically for new and aspiring library directors who want to develop their management skills, confidence and effectiveness. This program is delivered through four, one-day workshops held each month over the summer (May-August).
The OLC’s New Directors Workshop Series will cover the core principles, techniques and approaches that you can apply to any situation that you’ll face as a new library director. You’ll learn how to handle management challenges with ease, including how to establish credibility and authority fast, how to motivate employees, work with your Board of Trustees, keep your library budget on track, handle legal issues, and much more. This comprehensive leadership training will cover proven techniques and powerful strategies for success in your new role.
AGENDA: Entire Series
Workshop 1: Essential Knowledge
Wed., May 16, 2018
9:15 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
- Ohio’s Public Library Community
- So You’ve Decided to be a Director!
- Success with Your Board of Trustees
- Legal Issues Affecting Your Library
- Under the Rotunda: The History of Public Library Advocacy at the Statehouse, Current Legislative Issues, and Why it Matters
- Being a New (or Slightly Used) Director: A Perspective on Being a Newer Director
Workshop 2: Essential Human Resources Management
Wed., June 6, 2018
9:15 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Staying Legal: Good Advice on HR Matters
- The Importance of Diversity in Public Libraries
- Ohio Public Library Core Competencies
- The Nuts and Bolts of Leadership: Personnel Management Tools and Ideas
- Practical HR: Making it Work in Your Library
Workshop 3: Essential Visibility
Wed., July 11, 2018
9:15 a.m. – 3: 45 p.m.
- Telling Your Story
- Five Steps to Creating a Strong Online Library Presence
- Strategic Planning: Understanding Your Role
- Connecting: Partners in the Community
Workshop 4: Essential Administration
Wed., Aug. 8, 2018
9:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- The Board of Trustees and Library Finances
- Keeping Your Library Budget on Track
- Managing Your Library Building
- Public Records Act and the Open Meetings Act
- Ohio Ethics Law: Can I Do That?
Who Should Attend: Library directors with less than three years of experience as a director, interim, or acting directors, or library staff with management and/or administrative experience who would like to advance to a director’s position.
- All handouts provided by the instructors.
- Continental Breakfast and Lunch. Please indicate any dietary requirements in the “Categories” section of “my OLC” when registering.
- A copy of the OLC publication, Ohio Public Library Administrator’s Handbook, will be emailed to workshop attendees following the workshop.
Continuing Education Credits: For those working toward their Ohio Public Librarian or Ohio Public Library Staff re-certification, this workshop series counts as 24 contact hours (six contact hours per workshop).
Accommodations: For a list of hotels in the area please e-mail email@example.com or call (614) 410-8092.
Primary Ohio Public Library Core Competencies addressed:
- Workshop 1 – Leadership; Organizational Awareness
- Workshop 2 – Human Capital Management; Facilitation; Staff Training
- Workshop 3 – Collaboration; Marketing
- Workshop 4 – Policies and Procedures; Ethics; Facilities; Fiscal Operations