126 S State St
Westerville, OH 43081
Sponsored by: OLC’s Reference and Information Services Division
Registration: 12:00-12:30 p.m. | Workshop: 12:30-4:00 p.m.
Presenter: Roger Rill, President, Ohio Society of Notaries, Columbus, OH
Your Library is At Risk from Your Staff Notaries by Roger Rill (PDF)
Register @ my OLC | Deadline to register: 4/27/17
Member: $75* | Non-member $150
*Individual members or staff of OLC Institutional member libraries.
Protect yourself, your library, and the patron with a half-day workshop designed exclusively for library staff who already have their notary commission as well as those who are interested in obtaining a commission. Ohio notaries can sometimes face uncomfortable situations that could result in errors and potential liability for themselves as well as their libraries.
This workshop will answer many important questions, such as:
- Can I notarize if a document is written in a foreign language?
- When must I administer an oath to a signer?
- What is a “loose certificate” and how/when is it used?
- Do I add a state/county venue to my certificate if none appears?
- How do I handle an Ohio vehicle title transfer?
- How do I perform a copy certification request?
- Gain a better understanding of the essential elements for Ohio notarization
- Learn how to stay away from trouble, and when you need to say “No”
- Feel more comfortable with complex and unusual signing situations (such as vehicle titles, powers of attorney, advanced directives, etc.)
- View examples of improper documents and learn what to watch for
About the presenter:
Roger Rill is president of the Ohio Society of Notaries. He was first commissioned as an Ohio notary public in 1978. He is a staunch advocate of the notary office as a defender of the public trust and the importance of proper notary procedures and best practices.
Intended Audience: Library staff who already have their notary commission or those who wish to obtain a commission.
What’s Included: Handouts as provided by the presenter. Notary test is NOT included. Light afternoon refreshments will be served (fee does NOT include lunch). A coffee kiosk is available in the lobby.
Continuing Education Credits: For those working toward their Ohio Public Librarian or Ohio Public Library Staff re-certification, this workshop counts as three (3) continuing education contact hour of credit.