2400 Olentangy River Rd
Columbus, OH 43210
Sponsored by: Ohio Library Council
REGISTER @ my OLC | Registration Deadline: 3/27/18
Member: $45* | Non-member: $90
*OLC Individual members or staff of OLC Institutional member libraries.
Intended Audience: Directors, Deputy Directors, Library Management and Administration, Safety and Security Personnel
Opioid and heroin abuse has become a public health crisis across the United States and Ohio’s public libraries are not immune from this crisis. This event is designed to help you understand the opioid epidemic and the challenges facing public libraries from a management perspective with an emphasis on keeping library staff and patrons safe. You’ll learn from the experts who are on the front lines of this fight including representatives from the Ohio Attorney General’s Office, law enforcement, first responders, attorneys as well as environmental health and public health specialists.
- The heroin and opioid abuse problem in Ohio and its impact on communities
- Liability and policy considerations for employers
- Proper procedures and protocols for cleaning-up unknown substances
- Resources and tools available to public libraries
- Community engagement strategies
- Developing a local coalition
- Practical solutions and best practices
What’s Included: All handouts provided by the instructors.
Accommodations: For a list of hotels in the area please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (614) 410-8092.
8:30-9:00 a.m. | Registration
9:00-9:15 a.m. | Welcome
9:15-10:00 a.m. | Overview of Heroin & Opioids
Presenter: Dr. Mark Hurst, Medical Director, Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services
10:00-10:15 a.m. | Break
10:15-11:15 a.m. | Liability and Policy Considerations for Employers
Presenters: Robin Amicon, Senior Attorney and Nelson Cary, Partner, Vorys, Sater, Seymour & Pease, LLC
11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. | Proper Procedures and Protocols for Unknown Substances & Fluids – Keeping your library customers and staff safe!
- James E. Davis, Assistant Fire Chief, Training/Emergency Medical Services Bureau, Columbus Division of Fire
- Jeff Gibbs, Environmental Health Division Manager, Franklin County Public Health
- Shaddy Swade, Project Director, Cleveland Dept. of Public Health Office of Emergency Preparedness
- Derek Wallace, Narcotics Detective, Chillicothe Police Department
12:15-1:15 p.m. | Lunch
1:15-2:00 p.m. | Resources & Supports Available
Presenter: Jennifer Lloyd, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine’s Office
2:00-3:00 p.m. | Community Engagement – What are public libraries doing?
- Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
- Troy-Miami County Public Library
- Portsmouth Public Library
3:00 p.m. | Adjourn