Bowen-Thompson Student Union
806 Ridge St, Bowling Green, OH 43403
Conference Overview: Often during the course of the workday, adult services and reference staff must wear many hats and are frequently jacks of all trades: librarians, tech support, social workers, genealogists, local historians, book-sellers, and friends to our patrons. This event is designed to enhance the skills of library staff members who primarily work with adults. The educational programming for the conference will include more than 20 breakout sessions that will focus on mastering adult and reference skills. You’ll leave this conference with practical solutions and ideas that you can immediately implement at your library.
REGISTER @ my OLC | Registration Deadline: 5/16/18
Member Fee: $90| Non-Member Fee: $180 | Speaker: $45
PLEASE NOTE: In order to qualify for the member rate, the registrant must be an Individual member of the Ohio Library Council.
Intended Audience: Library staff who work in Adult Services or Reference and Information Services.
What’s Included: All conference handouts as provided by the presenters. Morning coffee, light refreshments, and lunch will be provided. A parking pass will be emailed to all registrants prior to the conference.
Hotel Accommodations: A room block has been reserved at the Holiday Inn Express, 2150 E. Wooster, Bowling Green, Ohio 43402 (PH: 419-353-5500). Please indicate that you are with the OLC when reserving your room. The room rate is $104/night (plus state and local taxes). Reservations must be made by May 1, 2018.
8:00 – 9:00 a.m. | Registration and Coffee
9:00 – 9:15 a.m. | Welcome and Announcements
9:30 – 10:30 a.m. | Breakout Sessions:
- Please Advise: Low Commitment High Impact Strategies for Getting Staff at All Levels Discussing Fiction
- Reference Interviewing for Beginners Unprogram
- Meeting Customers Where They Are: Programming for Adults With Disabilities
- Diversity in Customer Service
- Connecting with Services for Older Adults and Their Family Caregivers
- Fake News, Real Consequences
10:30 – 10:45 a.m. | Coffee Break
10:45 – 11:45 a.m. | Breakout Sessions:
- Reaching Out to Seniors and the Disabled: Crating Inclusive, Fun, & Stimulating Programming for a Diverse Community
- Helping Adults Learn: Learning to Teach
- See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil: Self-Censorship and Librarianship
- Taking Your Reference Skills to the Next Level: Building Beyond a Solid Foundation
- Sharpening Technology Troubleshooting in the Library
- Financial Literacy
11:45 a.m. – 1:15 p.m. | Lunch and Networking Activities (and Prizes!)
1:15 – 2:15 p.m. | Breakout Sessions:
- Digitization Basics: Bit by Byte
- ASPIRE Grant: Increasing Adult Education Opportunities at Your Library
- Creating and Implementing an Adult Services/Peer Training Reference Orientation at Your Library
- The Truth is Out There: Web Tricks and Tools for Spotting Misinformation
- Ohio Web Library Update and Ohio Web Resources for Patrons
- Parent Engagement — From the Start
2:15 – 2:30 p.m. | Break with Afternoon Refreshments
2:30 – 4:00 p.m. | Breakout Sessions:
- Responding to the Inappropriate
- Subject Need Not Apply: Non-Fiction Readers’ Advisory
- Today’s Genealogist: Changing Your Approach at the Library
- Collaborating With Community Partners for Programming Unprogram
- Library Resources for Small Business Customers
- The Future of Library Programming: Are You Ready for It?
4:00 p.m. | Adjourn
Conference Chair: Aimee Adams, Medina County District Library
Planning Committee Roster (PDF)