Sponsored by: Ohio Library Council
FREE* for OLC members only.
*Individual members or staff of OLC Institutional member libraries.
Registration is limited to the first 98 registrants | Registration Deadline: Nov. 5
Presenters: Donna Albanese, State Director, Aspire Adult Readiness Education at the Ohio Department of Higher Education; Michelle Francis, Director of Government and Legal Services, Ohio Library Council
The Ohio Department of Higher Education’s Aspire program, formerly the Adult Basic and Literacy Education (ABLE) program, helps adults build the skills they need to become employed or pursue higher education or training. Aspire serves Ohioans who have less than a 12th-grade education or the equivalent and who are beyond age 18.
Workforce development/adult education programs and services are a priority for Ohio’s public libraries as we continue to provide lifelong learning opportunities and position our libraries as continuous learning centers. This webinar will provide basic information to Ohio’s public libraries on Ohio’s Aspire program, how more libraries can participate and general information on the federal grant program.
Ohio’s Aspire programs provide FREE services for individuals who need assistance acquiring the skills to be successful in post-secondary education and training, and employment. Local programs offer classes at flexible locations, and on different days and times to meet diverse needs. All students are required to attend orientation, where an assessment is given to help determine the individual’s educational needs and goals.
Services available at programs throughout all 88 Ohio counties include:
- Basic math, reading and writing skills
- Adult Secondary Education/High School Equivalency Exam Preparation
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Transition services – including employment and post-secondary
- Life skills, employability skills and computer literacy
- Family Literacy – enriching the parental role of adult learners
- Workplace Literacy – education services offered in collaboration with business, industry, government and/or labor to increase the productivity of the workforce through improved literacy skills
- Corrections Education – a partnership with a jail, detention center, community-based rehabilitation center or other similar institution
- Distance Education
During this webinar, you’ll learn how to implement a program at your library and how to navigate your way through the Aspire Instruction Grant process. This FREE* webinar is scheduled for Wed., Nov. 8 at 1:00 p.m.
What’s Included: Participation in the live webinar and/or access to the archived version at a later date, resources (if applicable) provided by the presenters.
NOTE: Webinar invitations and access information will be sent via e-mail on Nov. 6. Please check that your correct e-mail address is listed in your my OLC profile page.
The webinar will be recorded and posted to the OLC website.
*FREE for Individual members or staff of OLC Institutional member libraries.