In 2017, a recording-breaking year for eBook and eAudiobook lending in public libraries, three Ohio libraries ranked in the Top 10 in the world for public libraries with the most digital downloads. According to the digital reading platform, OverDrive, the Cleveland Public Library ranked seventh, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County was eighth, and Cuyahoga County Public Library ranked tenth in digital materials circulation. The three libraries also experienced an average increase of 11% in digital-circulating materials.
Two Ohio digitally-circulating consortia, the Ohio Digital Library (#2) and the Digital Download Collection of Ohio (#5), rank at the top nationally for the most digital downloads.
“We are pleased to see three Ohio libraries at the top of the list for digital downloads. It’s another indication of why Ohio’s public libraries have a national reputation for outstanding library service and use,” said Doug Evans, Executive Director of the Ohio Library Council. “This latest ranking reaffirms the consistent growth we have seen with digital lending as more Ohioans embrace eBooks and eAudiobooks from their local libraries.”
More than 18.4 million digital materials, eBooks, music, movies, and magazines, were downloaded from Ohio’s public libraries last year according to the Ohio Public Library Statistics from the State Library of Ohio.
The top 10 digital-circulating library systems in the world for 2017*:
- Toronto Public Library (+19% growth over 2016)
- King County Library System, Washington (+13%)
- Los Angeles Public Library (+23%)
- New York Public Library (+20%)
- Seattle Public Library (+12%)
- Hennepin County Library, Minnesota (+15%)
- Cleveland Public Library (+11%)
- Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County (+12%)
- Multnomah County Library, Oregon (+28%)
- Cuyahoga County Public Library, Ohio (+10%)
The top 5 digital-circulating consortia and shared collections for 2017*:
- Wisconsin Public Library Consortium (+7%)
- The Ohio Digital Library (+10%)
- Greater Phoenix Digital Library (+7%)
- Tennessee READS (+10%)
- Digital Downloads Collaboration, Ohio (+9%)
*Source: Rakuten OverDrive