The Children’s Services Division is focused on providing professional development opportunities for children’s services professionals and helping all children achieve their high potential through the use and enjoyment of library services.
Lori Faust, Coordinator (2018)
Warren-Trumbull County Public Library
Work: (330) 399-8807
Becky Schaade, Assistant Coordinator (2018)
Fairfield County District Library
Work: (740) 653-2745
Mary Anne Wood, Secretary (2018)
London Public Library
Work: (740) 852-9543
Renee Hopper, Past Coordinator (2018)
Defiance Public Library
Work: (419) 782-1456
Jennifer Buckner, Action Council Member (2018)
Dayton Metro Library
Work: (937) 496-8786
Sarah Cramer, Findlay-Hancock County Public Library, Action Council Member (2019)
Work: (410) 422-1712
Julia Shaheen, Stark County District Library, Action Council Member (2019)
Work: (330) 458-2645
Sybil Wendling, Action Council Member (2018)
Avon Lake Public Library
Work: (440) 933-7527
Board Liaison: Deborah Dubois
PDC Liaisons: Barbara Scott, Shannon Titas
Goals and Objectives
- To identify and address issues relative to developing children’s services in public libraries and to the changing needs of children and adults who work with them. To offer a minimum of two continuing education opportunities for library staff directly related to core competencies.
- To contribute to student success by promoting and facilitating collaboration between public library and community partners through resource sharing andtraining.
- To continue to provide training and resources that support and encourage developmentally-appropriate best practices in Ohio libraries, including Ready to Read, media mentorship, and other existing early literacy initiatives, and to provide information on how library staff can support parents and caregivers in their role as a child’s first teacher. To train librarians on the nuances of reference and readers’ advisory services for children.
- To update members on Children’s Division activities and support two-way communication with members by publishing a quarterly electronic newsletter, contributing to the State Library Youth Services Listserv and the Ohio Ready to Read Facebook page and other communication avenues with the goal of enticing new membership to the Children’s Services Division.
- To offer a mentorship program to current Children’s Services Division members working with youth.
Current Task Forces:
Ohio Ready to Read – Website
- Mandie Burns, Chair | Dayton Metro Library
- Marianna DiGiacomo | Stark County District Library
- Deborah Dubois | Mansfield/Richland County Public Library
- Janet Ingraham Dwyer, ORTR Liaison | State Library of Ohio
- Kate McCartney | Marysville Public Library
- Kathleen Moore | Dayton Metro Library
- Carolyn Roberts | Dayton Metro Library
- Celeste Swanson | Dayton Metro Library
- Kara Walker | Geauga County Public Library