The Children’s Services Division is focused on providing professional development opportunities for children’s services professionals and helping all children achieve their high potential through the use and enjoyment of library services.
Becky Schaade, Coordinator (2019)
Fairfield County District Library
Work: (740) 653-2745 x100
Jennifer Buckner, Asst. Coordinator (2019)
Dayton Metro Library
Work: (937) 496-8786
Sybil Wendling, Secretary (2019)
Avon Lake Public Library
Work: (440) 933-7527
Lori Faust, Past Coordinator (2019)
Warren-Trumbull County Public Library
Work: (330) 399-8807 x206
Annamarie Carlson (2020)
Westerville Public Library
Work: 614-882-7277 x2179
Sarah Cramer (2019)
Findlay-Hancock County Public Library
Work: 410-422-1712 x156
Robin Gibson (2020)
Westerville Public Libary
Work: 614-882-7277 x2140
Julia Shaheen (2019)
Stark County District Library
Work: (330) 458-2645
Board Liaison: Aimee Fifarek
PDC Liaisons: Barbara Scott, Shannon Titas
Goals and Objectives
- To identify and address issues relative to developing children’s services in public libraries and to the changing needs of children and adults who work with them. To offer a minimum of two continuing education opportunities for library staff directly related to at least two different core competencies, offered in different formats, and different physical locations.
- To continue to provide training and resources that support and encourage developmentally-appropriate best practices in Ohio libraries, including Ready to Read, media mentorship, and other existing early literacy initiatives, and to provide information on how library staff can support parents and caregivers in their role as a child’s first teacher.
- To update members on Children’s Division activities and support two-way communication with members by publishing a quarterly electronic newsletter contributing to the State Library Youth Services Listserv and the Ohio Ready to Read Facebook page and other communication avenues with the goal of increasing membership to the Children’s Services Division and encouraging participation in events.
- To increase visibility of the Children’s Services Division through on site presence at OLC professional development events.
- To evaluate and increase awareness of the ongoing mentorship program to current Children’s Services Division members working with youth.
Annual Report (PDF)
Current Task Forces:
Ohio Ready to Read – Website
- Maria Trivisonno, Chair, Cuyahoga County Public Library
- Mandie Burns, Dayton Metro Library
- Deborah Dubois, Mansfield/Richland County Public Library
- Nancy Eames, Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
- Janet Ingraham Dwyer, ORTR Liaison, State Library of Ohio
- Taryn Lentes, Athens County Public Libraries
- Kate McCartney, Marysville Public Library
- Kathleen Moore, Dayton Metro Library
- Carolyn Roberts, Dayton Metro Library
- Julia Shaheen, Stark County District Library
- Celeste Swanson, Lane Libraries