The Membership Committee develops the OLC’s membership recruitment and retention strategies, advises staff on implementation, and promotes OLC membership in a variety of venues and in conjunction with other Committees and Divisions.
Erin Hallahan, Chair (2017)
Cuyahoga County Public Library
Work: (216) 475-5000
Erin Huffman, Assistant Chair (2017)
Westerville Public Library
Work: (614) 259-5019
Mandy Simon, Past Chair (2017)
The State Library of Ohio
Work: (614) 995-0033
Kristin Baker (2017)
Portsmouth Public Library –Lucasville Branch
Work: (740) 259-6119
Cynthia Boyden (2019)
State Library of Ohio
Work: (614) 644-6863
Rachel Clukey (2019)
Delaware County District Library
Work: (740) 362-3861
Maggie Gall, Student Representative (2017)
Columbus Metropolitan Library
Work: (614) 645-2275
Jessica Hermiller (2017)
Bluffton Public Library
Work: (419) 358-5016
Allison Knight (2017)
Dayton Metro Library
Work: (937) 496-8956
Elizabeth Muether (2018)
Mercer County District Library
Work: (419) 586-4442
Sara Phillips (2017)
Cleveland Height-University Heights Public Library
Work: (216) 932-3600
Sarah Vargo (2017)
Willoughby-Eastlake Public Library
Work: (440) 942-3200
Laura Lee Wilson (2018)
Huron County Community Library
Work: (419) 933-2544
Board Liaison: Suzanne Cline
Purpose and Objectives
The Membership Committee is composed of a chair, assistant chair, several at-large members, and a representative from each of the six regional chapters. The regional chapter representatives to the membership committee work to identify recruitment officers in every library within each chapter. The committee works in conjunction with other unit coordinators and chairs to publicize OLC and its activities.
Goal 1: To effectively retain established members of OLC.
Objective 1.1: Communicate the benefits of OLC membership with current members.
- Develop a schedule to promote membership and membership benefits through monthly ACCESS articles.
- Collect member experiences and reflections to communicate the value of membership to current members.
- Continue to work with OLC Director of Communications to place Membership Committee information on OLC social media channels. Information may include: reminders to renew OLC membership, benefits of OLC membership, and testimonials regarding OLC member benefits.
- Investigate longevity recognition program for members.
- Investigate creation of OLC Membership image to include in members’ email signatures.
Objective 1.2: Support the effectiveness of Library Recruitment Officers (LROs) in 2017.
- Start LRO activity first in mid-November through LRO survey and then by email directly from Chapter Reps in December.
- Start side-by-side effort to evaluate LRO survey results’ effectiveness with other means of information gathering from State Library of Ohio website and checkbox on applications.
- Communicate more frequently with LRO’s to acknowledge various opportunities and work they have done on behalf of OLC Membership Committee.
- Include LRO’s in New Member Meet and Greet at OLC Convention and Expo 2017.
- Investigate creating a Library Recruitment Officer ribbon for name tags at OLC Convention and Expo.
Goal 2: To recruit new members to OLC with an emphasis on supportive staff and students.
Objective 2.1: Promote value of student membership in OLC in 2017.
- Promote ALA/OLC Joint membership through various means.
- Continued presence of Student Member Representative on Membership Committee with a term of 1 year to act as a liaison to the library school students at KSU (Columbus and Kent locations).
- Student member liaison will investigate possibility of pinning a post promoting OLC/ALA joint membership to Foundations Class e-board for online courses.
Objective 2.2: Promote value of OLC membership to supportive staff in 2017.
- Work with Customer Service & Supportive Staff Division of OLC to determine how we can best communicate the benefits of membership to library support staff.
- Encourage the LROs to promote membership to support staff.
- Investigate potential partnership/relationship with Ohio Library Support Staff Institute (OLSSI).
Objective 2.3: Engage Chapter Representatives and LRO’s more directly in the process of recruiting new members
- Drawing for $50 referral for new members.
- Send LRO survey changes to Directors.
- Continue to provide information to Chapter Representatives.
- Look for partnership opportunities with other committees to promote membership.
- Supply new hire material/letter to LRO’s for HR departments or administration.
- Inform LRO’s that the list for each library is online.
- Determine ways to identify and approach non-members.