The Membership Committee develops the OLC’s membership recruitment and retention strategies, advises staff on implementation, and promotes OLC membership in a variety of venues and in conjunction with other Committees and Divisions.
Kristin Baker, Chair (2019)
Portsmouth Public Library –Lucasville Branch
Work: (740) 259-6119
Erin Huffman, Secretary (2019)
Westerville Public Library
Work: (614) 259-5019
Sarah Myers, Student Representative (2019)
Warren-Trumbull County Public Library
Work: (330) 399-8807
Cynthia Boyden (2019)
State Library of Ohio
Work: (614) 644-6863
Sheila Campbell (2020)
Columbus Zoo & Aquarium
Work: (614) 724-3610
Betsy Eggers (2021)
Napoleon Public Library
Work: (419) 592-2531 x4
Lexy Kmiecik (2020)
Cleveland Public Library
Work: (216) 623-6998
James Miley (2021)
Orrville Public Library
Work: (330) 683-1065
Sarah Schellenger (2020)
Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
Work: (513) 665-2809
Sam Snodgrass (2021)
Wadsworth Public Library
Board Liaison: Laura Lee Wilson
Purpose and Objectives
The committee works to identify recruitment officers in every library across the state. The committee works in conjunction with other unit coordinators and chairs to publicize the OLC and its activities.
Goal 1: To effectively retain established members of OLC.
Objective 1.1: Communicate the benefits of OLC membership with current members.
- Develop a schedule to promote membership and membership benefits through monthly Access articles.
- Collect member experiences and reflections to communicate the value of membership to current members.
- Continue to work with OLC Director of Communications to place Membership Committee information on OLC social media channels. Information may include: reminders to renew OLC membership, benefits of OLC membership, and testimonials regarding OLC member benefits.
- Investigate longevity recognition program for members.
Objective 1.2: Support the effectiveness of Library Recruitment Officers (LROs) in 2018.
- Start LRO activity first in mid-November through LRO survey and then by email in December.
- Start side-by-side effort to evaluate LRO survey results’ effectiveness with other means of information gathering from State Library of Ohio website and checkbox on applications.
- Communicate more frequently with LRO’s to acknowledge various opportunities and work they have done on behalf of OLC Membership Committee.
- Include LROs in New Member Meet and Greet at OLC Convention and Expo in 2018.
- Investigate creating a Library Recruitment Officer ribbon for name tags at OLC Convention and Expo.
Goal 2: To recruit new members to OLC with an emphasis on supportive staff and students.
Objective 2.1: Promote value of student membership in OLC in 2018.
- Promote ALA/OLC Joint membership through various means.
- Continued presence of Student Member Representative on Membership Committee with a term of 1 year to act as a liaison to the library school students at KSU (Columbus and Kent locations).
- Student member liaison will investigate possibility of pinning a post promoting OLC/ALA joint membership to Foundations Class e-board for online courses.
Objective 2.2: Promote value of OLC membership to supportive staff in 2018.
- Work with Customer Service & Support Staff Division of OLC to determine how we can best communicate the benefits of membership to library support staff.
- Encourage the LROs to promote membership to support staff.
- Investigate potential partnership/relationship with Ohio Library Support Staff Institute (OLSSI).
Objective 2.3: Engage LROs more directly in the process of recruiting new members
- Drawing for $50 referral for new members.
- Send LRO survey changes to Directors.
- Look for partnership opportunities with other committees to promote membership.
- Supply new hire material/letter to LROs for HR departments or administration.
- Inform LROs that the list for each library is online.
- Determine ways to identify and approach non-members.