The Ohio Library Council is the statewide professional association which represents the interests of Ohio’s public libraries, their trustees, Friends and staffs.
The membership of the OLC is composed of public library systems, library trustees, Friends of the Library groups, library staff members, other library institutions, and library-related commercial vendors.
The OLC is governed by a Board of Directors composed of three library employees with an MLS or MLIS degree, three library trustees currently serving on library boards, and seven at-large members. Also involved in the governance of the OLC are the members who volunteer to participate in the activities of the association’s Committees, Divisions and Chapters.
The Ohio Library Council is the forum in which Ohio’s public library community is strengthened through advocacy, education, collaboration, and innovation.
Strategic Plan: 2015–17
GOAL 1: Advocate the interests of Ohio’s public libraries, with a focused commitment to ensure adequate state funding.
- Proactively safeguard the interests of Ohio’s public libraries and the essential services they provide to citizens throughout the state.
- Protect and restore funding to the Public Library Fund in the FY16–17 state budget.
- Ensure that the Administration and the General Assembly understand the value of public libraries and the importance of the Public Library Fund.
- Assist Ohio libraries to position themselves as an essential public service.
GOAL 2: Develop high-quality public library staff members and trustees through unsurpassed education and training.
- Provide a comprehensive array of value-added, high quality educational content and programs which develop outstanding library staff members and enhances the work of their libraries.
- Acknowledge that members’ continuing education needs change as their careers progress.
- Recognize the diverse nature of adult learning and utilize new and appropriate formats and delivery of education.
- Respect the various geographic locations, sizes, and the limited economic resources for continuing education among Ohio’s public libraries.
GOAL 3: Be the authoritative source of information on issues impacting Ohio’s public libraries and enhance members’ access to OLC resources.
- Identify, analyze, and respond to the current issues and emerging trends that impact public libraries.
- Deliver knowledge-based information on public library governance, administration, and operations for Ohio’s public libraries.
- Meet the members’ needs for fast and efficient access to valuable information and resources.
GOAL 4: Create an OLC organizational structure that is flexible and responsive to members’ needs, encourages member engagement, and maximizes organizational effectiveness.
- Optimize an OLC organizational structure to be efficient, nimble, and sustainable.
- Achieve effective Board operations and knowledge-based governance.
- Increase awareness and value of opportunities for members to engage in important OLC work and decision-making.
- Assure that appropriate staff resources are in place to accomplish organization’s goals and objectives.
- Implement a membership dues structure that generates adequate revenue to support the mission of the organization while being fair and appropriate for the current environment.
- Update the OLC’s physical image and branding.
OLC Code of Regulations (PDF)
Organizational Chart (PDF)
Anti-Harassment Policy (PDF)